Client: Devonshire Park Ltd
Given a derelict, ex-industrial 9ha site in Devon the practice was briefed to create a master plan to bring it back into sustainable economic use in the short to medium term creating¬†new jobs and new homes in the same location.
A mix of residential and commercial development ¬†was proposed, which is appropriate for the location, attractive to home buyers and commercial occupiers, financially viable and deliverable.
The key design principles that guided the solution for Devonshire Park were:
- Provide land uses and building form that contributes to a unified and intelligible urban structure.
- Provide a greater choice within Paignton for retailing and housing provision that responds to local need and is viable ¬†and sustainable.
- Promote public amenities and connections within the site that are safe and attractive;
- Respond to the surrounding development pattern and landscape;
- Improve the street frontages to Brixham Road and Long Road at the urban perimeter and provide clarity to the¬†site layout;
- Create potential for high quality architecture.
The project represents an estimated ¬£70m investment and is expected to deliver c270 homes and 140 jobs ‚Äď making a significant contribution to Torbay‚Äôs employment and housing needs.