William Curtis Green designed Keeperâ€™s Cottage in 1936. Previously known as Clittaford Cottage it is sited within the Cann Estate. It was Grade II listed, in 2008, as it was a well-preserved example of the â€˜Vernacular Revivalâ€™ style by a nationally important architect. It represented small-scale, domestic architecture of the time and no longer offers suitable space for modern living.
After considerable site analysis, appraisal and dialogue the design makes a contemporary counterpoint, housing spacious, open plan living accommodation in a form that did not dominate the existing cottage.
This was accomplished by a simple rectilinear plan that is attached to the existing building by a glass link. A rigorous approach was taken to the design, avoiding ornament and concentrating on creating cohesion between internal and external space and maximising opportunities to use natural daylight. This provides a strong contrast to the intimacy of the cottage. Gaining planning approval was a protracted process, but once achieved the result is a delightful synthesis of the brief and opportunities presented by the site.